The medical field has developed significantly in the last century. There have been innovations and developments on several medical equipments that have been saving millions of lives. One of the finest innovations in the medical field is the surgical instruments. There are different types of surgical instruments used for surgeries and for clinical procedures. In this article, we will look in to the different types of surgical instruments used in modern hospitals and clinics for treatment procedures.
The surgical instruments are tools designed to perform specific actions during an operation or surgical treatment procedures. It can be used to modify a particular tissue, or cut skin in order to operate the inner parts etc. It was in the ninetieth century, several instruments were invented in many parts of the world. These tools have helped physicians and surgeons to perform surgeries on their patients.
Today, several types of surgical instruments are used in the medical field. Few of them are used for general purpose while remaining is used for specific treatment procedures. The medical equipments used in the industry have lot of roles in the operation theatres. As mentioned, most of the tools are used for specific operations. These very sensitive medical equipments are to be used carefully. This is the why they are used by trained physicians and doctors.
The classification of these medical equipments depends on certain patterns. For instance, the names of the medical tools reflect its operational use while names of certain tools are given after their inventors. These are how these medical equipments are classified in the medical industry. Precisely, the surgical instruments aid surgeons and technologist to perform respective surgeries and medical operations.
There are several types and classes of surgical instruments. Let us look at the most commonly used tools and their uses in medical industry.
• Retractors: It is a common class of surgical equipments used to cut open the skin. The tools in this class of medical equipments are also used to spread open tissues and ribs during surgical procedures.
• Mechanical Cutters: These types of surgical equipments are used to cut skin and bones during surgeries. Scalpels, ligasure, rasps, lancets, tracers are few of the mechanical cutters used in today’s modern medical operations.
• Specula and Dilators: These tools are used to find access to incisions or narrow passages.
• Powered Medical Equipments in Surgical Treatments: There are few powered equipments used in surgical operations such as dermatomes, drills, etc.
• Measurement Equipments: The measurement equipments are used to measure sizes of various parts or tumors in the body. The measuring devices used during operations are calipers and rulers. This tool assists surgeons to find the exact measurement of the condition.
• Cryotomes, ultrasound tissue disruptors and cutting lasers together forms a class of medical equipments.